Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Shhh...

Today my work moved offices to some nice new digs at the Chicago Fine Arts Building, 410 South Michigan Avenue. We pulled up on the side of the building with a U-Haul and 2 trucks packed full of stuff, planning to unload into a freight elevator in the alley. Plot twist: The entrance to the alley was blocked by a car, blocking in several service trucks, and keeping us from moving in. So, I hop out of the truck to ask some heating/air conditioning guys if they know whose car it is. They had been hanging out for quite some time trying to figure out what to do, as they were blocked in the alley. Finally, one guy goes in this building- The Chicago Club- to find out if they know what's up. A few minutes later, he comes out and tells me that Secret Service is parked in the alley in order to secure the Club building for a "high level government figure." Ok, Secret Service. My boss and coworkers are all panicking because we have to move in by a certian time and there is a lot to do. We stand there mulling over what to do when 2 men in suits come out of the building and head towards the car. I decided to run over and flag them down. They basically ignored me, and got in the car. I knocked on the window, and the driver rolled it down.
"Ma'am, may I help you?" (peering at me, with ear wire in place)

"I need to get these cars down the alley, etc. etc...."

"Ok. Here is the procedure. You pull the vehicles into the alley. You unload your vehicles. You be out by 4:30 or I can't promise you will get out of the alley tonight." (roll up window, drive away without cracking a smile)

Right. Just what I was expecting today- wrangling with Secret Service in a dark alley. Thank goodness I "got out" in time!
Comments:
Shan, maybe they were there for someone really lame and just had to play it up like it was someone really important. Anyway, its kinda fun having shady situations at work isn't it?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?