Monday, May 09, 2005

Chain Gang


I saw an actual chain gang this morning on my way to work. Let me tell you, Arizona has a funky way of treating their incarcerated citizens. A few weeks ago, they transferred some prisoners from one prison to another and made them all wear pink boxers. And now today the chain gang I saw had the black and white striped get-ups on; I thought those were only for the movies! They even had these signs on the road that said "Sheriff's Chain Gang At Work...Slow Down!" Yeah, slow right on down so they can sneak into your car at a stoplight. Just kidding...after all, they've got those chains holding them back.
Comments:
Yeah, they might get in your car. I had this shady gentleman try to get in my car at 38th and Post Road. He should have been in a chain gang!!
 
man, i remember driving down shadeland ave. in the bone with teddy...and jennie busted up to the car at a stoplight to tell us something (she was driving behind us) and scared the shit out of me! ever since then, i've been a huge fan of the automatic door locks.
 
Ahh Jenny! Good to see you...I think I've heard about that infamous prison where the inmates wear pink boxers. It's run by this really unorthodox and pretty controversial warden (don't know if that's the right word) who, among other things, makes inmates eat rotten baloney sammiches. i think i saw something on 60 Minutes a few years ago.
 
The "warden" in question is Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio. All inmates at his "Tent City" wear pink boxers. Tent City is an outdoor, makeshift prison camp...in the middle of the desert. This is the infamous place where DUI convicts automatically go.

Very few people have good things to say about him, but he has been re-elected by very large margins several times now.

"When will people learn: democracy doesn't work." --Homer Simpson
 
Hola, Jenny! I thought I heard on NPR recently that they're trying to pass a law that will allow all illegal alien Arizona prisoners to do a chaingang/work program thing. Any word on if anything has passed?
 
hey katie, i just saw your comment...no idea! i am so engrossed in school stuff most of the time that i tend to be pretty clueless about what's going on in the outside world.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?