Saturday, February 19, 2005

What's Going on up There?



I'm a huuuuuuuuuge dork and I love it! One of my classes this semester is about how the brain works, learns, breaks down, etc....all that neuroscience jazz. And it's my favorite! I'm so into it, I even love reading the textbook. I've also started renting out the audiotapes my professor has of the various brain conferences she goes to so I can listen and learn on my now 30 min. long commute to school and work. The brain is fascinating, what can I say?!

Anyway...you may not feel quite as strongly as I do about the brain, but if you're somewhat interested, Inside the Brain is an amazing book that really lays it on the line for you. And it's written for a general audience, so the author (he's actually a journalist) doesn't get too science-y on you. It's a very easy read, and if I may be so bold, a bit of a page-turner. Happy reading and learning!
Comments:
If you're interested in more, Steven Pinker is without a doubt the sharpest, innovative, and most interesting, cognitive expert writing today.

He was, very early on in his studies, the heir apparent to Noam Chomsky's work on language. Pinker's actually a decent writer though, and he writes well for general audiences.

"How the Mind Works" is most along the lines you seem to be interested in, but "The Blank Slate" and "The Language Instinct" are mindblowing (stupid pun) as well.
 
yep, i've read some pinker...thanks! and my big paper last semester was on chomsky, so i'm all over that area.
 
Thank you Lavar Burton, of Reading Rainbow.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?