Thursday, February 03, 2005

A Series of Fantastic Costumes

Last night I took my little sister to see Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (take a look at the website; it's pretty damn cool). She wanted to see Are We There Yet?, but as much as I like Ice Cube, I didn't think I could sit though that "movie."

If not for the plot, which is quite entertaining for a kid's movie, I highly recommend Lemony Snicket for the top-notch visuals. The set design is incredible in a Tim Burtonesque way where location and time are secondary to atmosphere. What really got me were the costumes. They were over the top in a sort of demented Edwardian way, full of texture, washed out color and rows and rows of buttons and buckles. Oscar-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood (Chicago, Big Fish, Sleepy Hollow, Edward Scissorhands) is the best around in my opinion.

Take a look:


I covet this coat Violet (older girl, duh....like I want to wear baby clothes) is sporting:





Speaking of Tim Burton, I saw a trailer for the remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and I haven't been looking forward to a movie this much in forever. I've always thought Johnny Depp was a great actor, but I've never really fully been on board the "he's the hottest thing alive" love train. But after seeing the trailer, I have to admit he's damn sexy (does the man age? ever???). Maybe I should be a little worried that he does indeed resemble 'Vogue' edtrix Anna Wintour in costume (via Gawker):

Johnny:


Anna:

Comments:
ooooo, i too am so jazzed to see mr. depp as willy wonka! i never got on board the hott train either (since it was happening whilst we were 11), but ever since pirates of the caribbean, i have a standing ticket! soooo fine and mysterious is johnny. but i think part of his appeal is also his total obscurity and rejection of everyhting hollywood. yummy!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?