Monday, February 07, 2005

I Never Thought I'd Say This...

I actually wish that I could be miraculously older at work (like 35, with a stylish wardrobe, good figure and rep of being the coolest teacher around) and then return to my spry 24 years after 6pm. One thing I've quickly learned this year: As a 24 year old chick, I have little to no credibility an authority figure. The problem is not my lack of assertiveness or leadership, this I know. I have no problem telling people, including my peers and those older than me what to do. I have no problem firing 40 year old men. I have no problem (most of the time) disciplining and teaching children who are statistically the one of the most difficult populations to work with. People that know me know that I am fairly organized. Most of all, I really like my job, so I want to do well. My boss thinks I am doing a good job...so what's the problem?

Other women. Women who are older than I am. They think that I am just so cute and adorable but have no clue about the way the world "really" works. On a daily basis, one particular lady attributes any sort of minor bump in the road to the fact that I am not old enough to "get it" while she could run circles around me with all her experience. I'll be the first to admit that I am still learning. I love learning. I know I make mistakes at my job- everyone does. No one has died, gone to the hospital or seriously broken the rules under my watch. So what's with the older women hating on the bright young things? This frustrates me more than anything else. It's just one of those days when being myself just doesn't seem good enough, but there's not a damn thing I can do about my age (except tan like crazy without sunscreen?)

I'll save men in the workplace for another post--whole other animal.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?